Whether you pack this in your kid’s lunch box or serve it as an easy weeknight dinner, this turkey-apple grilled cheese sandwich hits all the right notes and will make your family happy.
Turkey-Apple Grilled Cheese Sandwich
For a long time, I wondered what the trick was to getting a perfect grilled cheese sandwich. Melted, gooey cheese is of course a given, but how to get that crispy, golden exterior?
When I started cooking on the regular, I realized it of course had to be butter. Butter is the solution to most, if not all, problems in life, non?
After that, I was hooked on making grilled cheese sandwiches at home. I’d often make different variations using different cheeses and fillings (have you tried my grilled brie sandwich with fig preserves?), which led me to try this combination of turkey, apple, and cheddar.
As standalone ingredients, they pair well with each other. In a grilled sandwich, they’re even better.
After using ham in a grilled cheese sandwich to make a classic croque monsieur, I knew turkey would work out just as well.
For this turkey-apple grilled cheese sandwich, I like using tart, granny smith apples because they add a great flavor component. That said, I’ll often just use whatever apple on hand, which always works out really well too. The importance of the apple layer is really just the fact that it provides some fantastic texture to the sandwich.
For this grilled cheese sandwich, I kept it classic with cheddar cheese. I think cheddar just goes so well with apples and turkey. Plus, cheddar is one of those cheeses that melts really well, which is probably why it’s a classic, go-to for grilled cheese.
I love enjoying this turkey-apple grilled cheese sandwich during this time of the year, when fall is arriving. The apple component adds that seasonal touch and keeps things festive and on par with what you’d expect to find on a fall menu.
- 2 slices of rustic, country white bread
- 2 slices of cheddar cheese
- 1/4 small granny smith apple, cut into thin slices
- 3-4 deli turkey slices
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- Arrange the cheese slices onto one slice of bread, overlapping the cheese as necessary. Place the turkey slices on top, overlapping those as well. Add the apple slices and the remaining slice of bread to complete the sandwich.
- Add half of the butter to a medium pan over medium heat. Once the butter has melted, place the sandwich in the pan and cook for a couple minutes, until the toast is golden and crisp.
- Use a large spatula to gently flip the sandwich over, using your hands to keep the sandwich closed and intact. Lower the heat to medium-low and cook for another minute, or until the toast is golden and crisp.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 542