One of my favorite accessories to throw on any (sunny) day of the year is a pair of stylish sunglasses. A pair of chic sunglasses has the ability to completely elevate your look, whether you’re into glamorous big sunnies or something more demure and classic. Check out my tips for finding sunglasses then shop from the ideas below.
What to Consider When Looking for Sunglasses
The kind of sunglasses you should buy depends on your personal preferences, style, and the purpose behind wearing them. Here are some factors to consider when choosing sunglasses:
- UV Protection: Make sure the sunglasses you buy have lenses that provide 100% UV protection. This will help protect your eyes from harmful UV rays that can cause cataracts, macular degeneration, and other eye problems.
- Lens Color: Different lens colors can affect how you perceive colors and contrast. Grey lenses are a good all-purpose option, while brown or amber lenses can enhance contrast and depth perception. Green lenses can provide good color balance, and yellow lenses can be good for low-light conditions.
- Frame Style: Choose a frame style that fits your face shape and personal style. Popular frame styles include aviators, wayfarers, cat-eye, and round frames.
- Material: Sunglasses frames can be made of different materials such as plastic, metal, or acetate. Consider the durability, comfort, and weight of the frame material.
- Polarization: Polarized lenses can help reduce glare and improve visibility in bright conditions, making them a good option for activities like driving, fishing, or skiing.
Ultimately, the best sunglasses for you will depend on your personal preferences and the activities you will be doing while wearing them. It’s a good idea to try on several styles and colors to see what works best for you.
How to Shop for Sunglasses
Parisians tend to prefer classic and timeless styles of sunglasses, such as aviators, wayfarers, and round frames. These styles are versatile and can be worn with a variety of outfits, making them a popular choice among the French who value elegance and simplicity.
Neutral colors such as black, brown, and tortoise are also popular, as they can easily complement a variety of outfits and styles. However, like with any other city, personal style can vary, and some Parisians prefer more trendy or colorful styles.
Ultimately, the most important thing is to choose a style that complements your personal style and makes you feel confident and comfortable.
Here are some tips to help you shop for stylish sunglasses that are as comfortable and functional as they are chic:
- Face Shape: Determine your face shape by looking in the mirror and identifying the widest part of your face, the shape of your jawline, and the length of your face. The most common face shapes are round, square, oval, heart, and diamond. Different frame styles work better with different face shapes.
- Frame Size: The right frame size depends on the width of your face, the distance between your temples, and the size of your nose. Measure the width of your face from temple to temple, and choose frames that are just slightly wider than your face for a comfortable fit. It’s important that you don’t pick frames that are too large; they shouldn’t so wide that sunlight is able to stream in through the sides and defeat the purpose of the sunglasses. The frames should also sit snugly on your nose without sliding down or pinching.
- Consider Your Style: Choose a frame style and color that complements your personal style and wardrobe. If you prefer a classic look, choose a timeless style like aviators or wayfarers. If you like to make a statement, choose a bold or colorful frame. I like to have black, cat eye sunglasses for the colder seasons and square, beige sunglasses for the warmer seasons when I tend to wear lighter colors.
- Seek Advice: If you’re still unsure about which frame style or size to choose, seek advice from a salesperson or optician. They can help you find the right style and fit based on your face shape and features.
Remember, the right frame style and size can enhance your appearance and provide a comfortable fit. Take your time and try on different options to find the perfect pair of sunglasses.
How to Care for Sunglasses
Proper care of your sunglasses can help keep them in good condition and extend their lifespan. Here are some tips on how to care for your sunglasses:
- Clean Regularly: Clean your sunglasses regularly to remove dirt, oil, and smudges that can accumulate on the lenses and frames. Use a microfiber cleaning cloth or a soft, lint-free cloth to gently wipe the lenses and frames.
- Use Lens Cleaner: For stubborn smudges or fingerprints, use a lens cleaner specifically designed for sunglasses. Apply a small amount to the lenses and use a soft cloth to gently wipe them clean.
- Store Properly: When you’re not wearing your sunglasses, store them in a case or pouch to protect them from scratches, dust, and damage. Avoid leaving them in a hot car or in direct sunlight for long periods of time.
- Avoid Contact with Chemicals: Avoid contact with harsh chemicals like bleach, ammonia, and other cleaning products that can damage the lenses and frames.
- Handle with Care: Handle your sunglasses with care to avoid bending, scratching, or damaging the frames or lenses. Use both hands to put them on and take them off, and avoid pushing them up onto your forehead or resting them on top of your head.
By following these tips, you can help keep your sunglasses in good condition and ensure they provide optimal protection and vision for years to come.