Strawberry Galette with Sliced Almonds (Rustic Strawberry Pie)
Strawberry season is arriving and this strawberry galette is the perfect way to kick it off. Sweet, juicy strawberries are nestled inside a round of pastry and topped with sliced almonds and powdered sugar.
A galette, sweet or savory, is typically characterized by its short height and freeform assembly. Unlike an American pie, where the pastry rises up the sides of the pan, a galette is formed on a [easyazon_link identifier=”B000G0KJG4″ locale=”US” tag=”monpetitfour-20″]rimmed baking sheet[/easyazon_link] with no such structure.
This strawberry galette is a fantastic dessert to whip up in a jiff with minimal baking skills.
Forming the Pastry
Whether you decide to make your own pastry or use a store-bought one, this strawberry galette requires little effort when it comes to styling and designing the pastry.
If you’re using a store-bought sheet of pie dough, for instance, you simply place the strawberries in the center of the dough round, then fold the edges of the dough over the strawberries.
No need to flute, crimp, or braid your pastry dough. The more rustic your strawberry galette looks, the more authentic it will be.
The strawberries, if ripe, need little done to them. A little bit of sugar and orange bring out their natural flavor and transform them into a delectable filling for this galette.
Ripe strawberries should be heady with their sweet aroma. Being able to easily smell their lovely scent is probably the strongest indicator of whether a strawberry is ripe.
Another characteristic of a ripe strawberry is its color; ripe strawberries should be red through and through. Any green or white spots on the strawberries are typically not a good sign.
Serving the Strawberry Galette
It’s important to bake the strawberry galette until the filling is bubbling and the crust is golden. Once the galette comes out of the oven, it should be cooled to room temperature.
Allowing the strawberry galette to properly cool will ensure you can transfer the galette from the pan to your serving plate without it breaking apart.
Once you’re ready to serve the strawberry galette, a sprinkling of toasted almond slices and powdered sugar is the finishing touch to wow your family and friends!
A rustic, French strawberry pie made with ripe strawberries, pastry dough, and sliced almonds.
- 1 sheet of pie dough, (213 grams) store-bought or homemade
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, (300 grams) stems removed, sliced in half lengthwise
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar, (42 grams)
- 1 tsp orange zest, (2 grams)
- 2 tsp orange juice, (10 grams)
- 1 egg, beaten, for egg wash
- 1 tbsp sliced almonds, (6 grams) to garnish
- powdered sugar, to dust galette with
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with a sheet of parchment paper or a silicone mat. Place your pie crust round onto your prepared baking sheet. If you've made your own pie dough, roll it out into a 9" circle.
- Add the strawberry halves to a medium bowl. Sprinkle the sugar all over the strawberries, along with the orange zest and orange juice. Use a spoon to toss the strawberries in this mixture until they're all coated in the sugar, zest, and juice. Let them marinate for a few minutes.
- Carefully place the strawberry halves down in the center of the pie dough, with their flat sides facing down. Leave a 1.5" to 2" border along the pie dough bare. Once all the strawberries are arranged, grab the bare edges of the dough and fold them inward to partially cover the strawberry arrangement.
- Brush the dough with the beaten egg. Bake the galette for 30 to 40 minutes, until the filling begins to bubble and the pastry is completely golden. Allow the galette to completely cool before serving. When you're ready to serve the galette, sprinkle toasted almonds over the center and dust with powdered sugar.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 6 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 202
Thank you Beeta for a delicious dessert. I saw the recipe just before I went to the supermarket for our weekly shop. My wife, Jackie, being self-isolating as she’s just been diagnosed with Covid, was forced to stay home and as luck would have it I found a great array of strawberries at the fruit counter. The galette recipe sounded delicious, so I bought some strawberries that were a beautiful shade of red, some sliced almonds and an orange. At home I followed your recipe and served the galette after a meal of veal medallions and home made French fries cut very thick. All I added to the galette was some cream. At the first taste both Jackie and I were bowled over by the subtle flavours of strawberries, orange zest and juice and the delightful crunch of sliced almonds. I nominate this as the most delicious and simple dessert I have ever prepared. Once again, thank you so much. Your recipe lifted our Saturday evening dinner to a level that I rarely achieve.
Thank you so much for the kind feedback, William! I’m so glad you and Jackie enjoyed the recipe together. I hope she has a speedy recovery and you guys can enjoy more of your cooking together! 🙂
Thank you, Beeta. The strawberry galette was polished off in a short space of time, necessitating another production. Jackie is now testing negative, but I started suffering the same symptoms, went for a PCR test and was diagnosed positive. I’m now self-isolating.
Hope your business in France is making you a lot of money so that you retire in a few years as a multi-millionairess.
I’m going to make this tomorrow – thanks! Looks easy enough for me!
Wonderful, Sue! Hope you enjoy <3
wow thats gorgeous!
Thanks, Lisa! The strawberries are definitely a stunner! 😉