When the dog days of summer begin, you can’t help but lie back and accept a slower pace of life. Even during my late evening walks along the pier, ice cream cone in hand, I can still feel the heat causing a slight sweat at the nape of my neck.
However lethargic and indolent I may feel, I’m still grateful. I’m grateful that the California sun brings plenty of harvest for me to fill my plate with.
I relish in the simplicity of these roasted artichokes. Like these warm summer days, roasted artichokes force you into a leisurely pace, where you must focus your attention on each leaf and what it has to offer.
Some garlic butter, fresh lemon, and sea salt turn these roasted artichokes into one of my favorite appetizers. While the leaves need some initial tending, there’s no denying that their meaty flesh is completely worth it.
- 2 whole artichokes
- 1 clove large garlic
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 a lemon
- sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Use scissors to snip off the pointed tips off the artichoke leaves. Use a sharp knife to slice off a 1/4"-1/2" off the top of the artichokes, to get rid of the pointed tips at the very top. Cut off the stems of the artichokes, then cut each artichoke in half.
- Rinse the artichoke before slightly shaking them out and patting them dry with a paper towel. Temporarily set aside.
- In a small pan, melt the unsalted butter over low heat. Add 1 whole clove of garlic that's been smashed/crushed with your knife. Cook the garlic in the butter over low heat for about a minute.
- Place the artichoke halves on a foil-lined pan, with the insides of the artichokes facing up. Scoop the melted garlic butter liquid all over each artichoke half, taking care not to scoop the actual garlic. Squeeze a smidge of lemon juice over each artichoke, then follow with a grind of sea salt and fresh pepper.
- Bake the artichokes for 20 minutes, before flipping them over and baking them for another 10 to 15 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 4 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 54