Instant Pot Beef Stew with Carrots and Potatoes
When the cold weather begins to settle in, there’s nothing better than a hearty and comforting meal like beef stew. This recipe for Instant Pot beef stew will help you create this cold weather meal in half the time it normally takes.
Instant Pot Beef Stew
This Instant Pot beef stew is a go-to in my house during the cooler months. I love how easy it is to whip up and how it truly hits the spot when I’m craving a warm, hearty dinner.
In France, this beef stew is referred to as pot au feu. Usually a beef stew like this takes about 2 hours, or longer depending on how tough your stewing beef is.
In the Instant Pot, this beef stew takes about 1 hour. More than that, after a quick sauté of the onion and garlic, you can add all the ingredients into the pot, close the lid, and go hang out on the sofa while you wait for dinner to come together on its own.
Like most French meals, this Instant Pot Beef Stew starts off with some butter. I used butter with the Real California Milk seal to create this recipe because products with this seal are made with high quality milk produced by California dairy farmers.
Not only that, Real California Milk has an initiative called Seals for Good, which is aimed at supporting families that have been affected by Hurricanes Harvey and Irma in Florida and Texas, as well as the California wildfires.
Every time someone shares a photo of the Real California Milk seal on social media using the hashtag #SealsforGood (up until December 31st), Real California Milk will donate $5 to the Great American Milk Drive. The proceeds will then help those affected by the hurricanes and wildfires.
I’m all about helping a good cause, especially if it requires little effort from me and ends up in a super delicious meal like this!
After the onion and garlic is sautéed in the butter, you simply toss in the beef, carrots, potatoes, tomato paste, water, salt and pepper. The stew cooks on manual pressure for 50 minutes, and voila! You’ve got a scrumptious Instant Pot beef stew in record time.
I love eating this dish with a crusty loaf of French bread. You can dip the bread in the stew liquid and it’s just dreamy.
Instant Pot Beef Stew
A cozy and hearty beef stew made up of beef, carrots, and potatoes. Made in the Instant Pot so that it's ready in half the time.
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1.5 lbs stewing beef, cut into large cubes if not already cut up
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced wide on the diagonal
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Turn the Instant Pot onto the sauté setting. Add the butter and allow it to melt. Once melted, add the onion and sauté until translucent. Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add in the beef, carrots, potatoes, tomato paste, water, salt and pepper. Give everything a little stir.
- Close the Instant Pot lid and make sure it's on sealing (rather than venting). Manual cook for 50 minutes (on some Instant Pots, it may be called "Pressure Cook").
- Once the pot beeps that it's ready, you can quick release and serve the stew with French bread.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 4 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 641
Omg… so much works and very difficult recipes…. but you made it so simple. You are amazing. 😍😍😍😍😍👍🏽
Thank you for the kind feedback! 🙂
So glad I found your recipe on Pinterest. Made this dish and it was full of flavour. The family loved it.
Thanks so much, Diane! So glad you and your family loved this 🙂