These gingerbread madeleines are your favorite French butter cakes, doused with warm holiday spices like ginger and cloves. They’re perfect for enjoying with a cup of coffee or for gifting to loved ones this time of year.
I wanted to share these gingerbread madeleines with you guys before the holidays, but I got so incredibly busy that I just didn’t get the chance to post this earlier.
It still isn’t too late though to enjoy these or share them with your loved ones. If you’re over gingerbread at this point, then hopefully these will be a recipe you bookmark for next year.
Honestly, these gingerbread madeleines are a welcome escape from all the frosted baked goods I’ve had this whole season. Whether they were iced cookies or a decorated yule log cake, I’ve been enjoying a variety of iced or frosted treats.
These humble gingerbread madeleines sprinkled with just a bit of powdered sugar are what I prefer at this point.
When you bake these madeleines, your home will smell intoxicating. To make these gingerbread madeleines, you’ll want to add some pumpkin pie spice and ginger.
The pumpkin pie spice is basically a mixture of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves, and then the extra bit of ground ginger that’s added in just emphasizes the ginger flavor of these madeleines.
These are gingerbread madeleines after all!
That said, I’m not a big fan of heavily spiced baked goods. I find them too harsh on the palate, so I prefer the spice level to be tastefully subtle.
These gingerbread madeleines are a wonderful recipe to bake up with a little one, as the batter comes together easily and bakes quickly. Limited skill and patience are required here!
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled (plus more for pan)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, (plus more for pan)
- powdered sugar, to dust the madeleines with
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Brush some softened butter onto a 12-mold madeleine pan, then sprinkle flour into the molds. Tap out the excess flour.
- With a stand mixer or hand mixer, beat the sugar, salt and eggs together until pale yellow - about 1 to 2 minutes. Add the vanilla, molasses, and spices. Mix to combine. Scrape the bottom of the mixing bowl, then mix again to combine.
- Pour in 1/3 of the melted butter and mix on low speed. Add in half the flour; continue to mix on low speed. Add another third of the melted butter - mix - add the remaining flour - mix - and finally the last bit of butter, giving one final mix to blend everything together.
- Use a tablespoon measuring spoon to scoop out 1 tablespoon of batter into each madeleine mold. Bake the madeleines for 9 to 10 minutes, until they spring back when gently touched on their tops.
- Use a knife to gently wedge the madeleines out of the pan and onto a wire cooling rack. Let them cool completely before dusting them with powdered sugar.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 12 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 97