I’m a big fan of recipes that utilize leftovers. I truly disdain tossing out food unless I really have to. As someone who lives by herself, I’ll often end up with leftovers, even when I try to cook small portions.
One of the foods I always end up having leftovers of is roast chicken. I try to only make it when I can invite friends over, but sometimes a girl just craves good ol’ fashioned roast chicken, so what can you do?
The beauty of roast chicken, however, is that you can use it in tons of recipes, including this French chicken salad sandwich.
French chicken salad is typically made up of diced, or sometimes shredded, chicken, celery, raisins, and tart apples or walnuts. I usually skip the apples and go for the walnuts because the raisins already provide a bit of sweetness, and the walnuts will give you ample crunch (plus a delectable nutty flavor).
This combination of ingredients is lightly coated in a mayonnaise-dijon mix with a splash of lemon juice. Using roast chicken, even with the skin peeled off, will yield a tastier salad, but using poached chicken will work just fine too.
French chicken salad is honestly one of my favorite things to eat when it’s warm out. It’s got that refreshing aspect that most salads boast, but with all the flavor and protein of a typical warm entrée.
Usually, I’ll enjoy a crusty baguette with my salad, but since I had a leftover croissant from my recent bread pudding recipe, I made a delicious sandwich out of the salad with the croissant. Hooray for using another leftover item!
If you decide to forego the croissant for a healtheir meal, this french chicken salad is equally scrumptious when it’s served in lettuce cups. The salad-filled lettuce cups also make great appetizers for a backyard party.
However you choose to enjoy this French chicken salad, you’re sure to be impressed and ready to make this a staple in your recipe arsenal!
- 2 oz . roast or poached chicken, skin peeled off and diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 tbsp chopped walnuts
- 1 tbsp raisins or dried currants
- 1 tbsp chopped scallions, green and white parts
- 3 leaves to 4 tarragon, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp lemon juice
- small pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 croissant
- Once the chicken has cooled, place the chicken, celery, walnuts, raisins, scallions, and tarragon leaves in a small bowl.
- Add the mayonnaise, dijon, and lemon juice to the bowl. Stir everything together until all in the ingredients are coated in this dressing. Taste test, then add salt and pepper accordingly (if desired).
- Slice the croissant horizontally, straight through the center. Add the salad to the bottom half of the croissant, then top with the other half of the croissant.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 521