I love cooking savory dishes with fruit. I’m particularly fond of using apples, oranges, and fruits in preserve form, like these fig preserves. This easy baked chicken with fig preserves showcases just how wonderful cooking with fruit can be.
Easy Baked Chicken
When I’m cooking for myself, I’ll often use chicken breast over any other part of the chicken. I freeze a few breasts when I buy them from the market, and then I just defrost one for a quick weeknight dinner.
This easy baked chicken with fig preserves can be made with just a handful of ingredients, including fresh herbs like rosemary and thyme.
The herbs enhance the savory quality of the dish and provide a touch of earthiness to balance the sweet.
The Fig Preserves
When choosing fig preserves to use for this dish, it’s best to choose one that contains some fig chunks in it.
You can technically use a fig spread and simply brush the spread on the chicken, but I think getting some actual pieces of actual fruit on the chicken look much prettier and provide more flavor.
I also love using apricot preserves and orange marmalade when I’m looking for a slight change. Either of these fruits can be easily substituted in.
Elegant and Delicious
Even though this is a 30-minute dinner, it’s still incredibly beautiful and appropriate for entertaining. Whether you decide to do a quick weeknight dinner, or you include this as part of a multi-course meal for guests, this dish works.
I like to pair this easy baked chicken with couscous or rice to get some grains in the meal. I also like that both those options don’t really compete for flavor, as the chicken has incredible flavor on its own.
Watch the video below to see just how simple this dinner really is!
- 2 chicken breast halves, skinless, boneless
- 1 jar fig preserves, (13 oz. or 370 grams) just the fig chunks
- 1 tsp rosemary, (1 sprig) chopped
- 1/2 tsp thyme, (2 sprigs) chopped
- freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°F). Line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper. Pat dry the chicken breasts, then sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper over each side of the chicken breasts.
- Transfer the breasts to the prepared baking sheet. Scoop a few spoonfuls of the preserved fig chunks onto each chicken breast half, then sprinkle a pinch of the chopped herbs on top.
- Bake the breasts for 25 minutes, or until a thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the breast reads 165°F (75°C). Serve with your choice of side.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 2 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 861