I always think it’s so interesting how our tastes change as we grow older. Things we used to love, we may not be as excited about anymore. Similarly, things we used to hate, we may have a newfound adoration for. In this case, I can’t believe I used to hate asparagus because now I absolutely love it. It’s a fantastic seasonal ingredient, especially in this crème d’asperges.
I used to cringe when my mom would serve a platter of roasted asparagus with dinner. Now, I’m more than happy to find them on my dining table, as evident by the recipe I shared for asparagus with hollandaise sauce.
Since asparagus season has begun, I thought it only right to share another one of my favorite asparagus recipes, crème d’asperges.
Crème d’asperges is a creamy soup made of puréed asparagus that has previously been cooked until tender in chicken broth, then combined with a splash of heavy cream for a comforting, slightly indulgent meal.
Asparagus is best when it’s slightly tender, but still firm (no mushy asparagus stalks, please!). The tips may have a bit of a purplish appearance, but overall the asparagus should be bright green; they’ll impart the best flavor when they look like this.
Asparagus without any seasoning isn’t much to boast about, but its transformation in this crème d’asperges is amazing. Who knew asparagus could provide such great flavor!
Another wonderful aspect of crème d’asperges is that it comes together fairly quick. After 10 minutes of preparation, you only need another 20 minutes or so on the stove.
I love adding a little splash of lemon for some tang, as well as parmesan shavings for extra saltiness, but this soup is so good as is that I could just eat it all up straight from the pot.
- 1 lb asparagus, rinsed, cut into 3/4” long pieces
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1-2 tbsp heavy cream
- lemon + lemon zest, optional
- parmesan shavings, to garnish
- Melt the butter in a heavy bottom saucepan or pot over medium-low heat. Add the onion and garlic; sauté until softened - about 3 minutes.
- Add the asparagus to the pot and cook for about 5 minutes, until tender. Add the salt, pepper, and chicken broth. Give everything a stir and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, then cover the pot with a lid and allow the mixture to cook for approximately 15 to 17 minutes.
- When the asparagus is tender and a muted green (rather than bright green), take the soup off the stove. Use an immersion blender (or a regular blender) to purée the mixture until relatively smooth.
- Transfer the soup back over to the stove and add 1 to 2 tbsp of heavy cream; stir the cream in to combine. If desired, garnish soup with a splash of lemon juice, zest, and parmesan shavings.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 2 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 174