I finally caved in and bought the Instant Pot, and it’s recipes like these chocolate fudge cakes for two that make me totally happy that I did!
Chocolate Fudge Cakes
I was initially hesitant to buy the Instant Pot because I wasn’t sure I’d find use for it. Because I work from home, I tend to have more time to cook my meals than most people. I also have a manual pressure cooker at home, though I have to say I’m not that comfortable using it.
What I’ve realized, however, is that the Instant Pot is a wonderful way to bypass many cooking steps in addition to being a fantastic alternative to your home oven.
For recipes like these mini chocolate fudge cakes, the Instant Pot can be a great way to avoid turning on the whole oven for two mini desserts.
I could see myself using this Instant Pot in France for tons of baking recipes since the apartments there usually don’t come equipped with ovens.
In any case, I’ve found the Instant Pot really handy for desserts where moisture is key. These chocolate fudge cakes are so fudgey because of the fact that they’re made in the pot.
The steam in the pot makes these ooey, gooey amazing.
The Instant Pot takes about 5 minutes to pre-heat and then 10 minutes to actually cook the chocolate fudge cakes. After a quick release of the pressure, the cakes are ready to be flipped out of their containers.
I used ramekins to hold the batter, then placed them on the rack (that comes with the pot) inside the Instant Pot.
After I flipped them out, I topped each cake with a scoop of ice cream. Absolutely heavenly, I tell you.
Even though each cake is only about 3/4″ high and 3.5″ wide, it’s definitely rich enough to feel satisfying. In fact, it’s more than enough, in my opinion.
The batter for these chocolate fudge cakes comes together in a few minutes in one bowl, which is also a big plus. That makes these little cakes just as suitable for a weeknight treat as they are for entertaining guests with.
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter, plus more for greasing ramekins with
- 1 egg
- 1.5 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp all-purpose flour
- tiny pinch of salt
- ice cream, to garnish
- Melt chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl. Add the butter to the hot chocolate and stir until melted and smooth. The mixture will begin to stiffen; this is ok.
- Add in the egg, then mix in until combined. Add the sugar, flour, and salt. Stir everything until it's all incorporated and mixed together.
- Brush 2 (4 oz.) ramekins with a little softened butter. Distribute the chocolate batter among the two ramekins (the batter should reach just about halfway up each ramekin).
- Place the instant pot rack inside the cooking pot. Place the ramekins on the rack. Carefully pour 2 cups of water into the cooking pot, taking care not to pour the water inside the batter-filled ramekins.
- Close the lid and make sure the Instant Pot is set to sealing. Set the pot to manual for 10 minutes. It will take about 5 minutes for the pot to preheat, then it will begin the 10 minute cooking countdown. Once it's over, carefully turn the knob from sealing to venting to quick release the steam. Note: make sure your finger isn't on top of the knob where the steam comes out!
- Once the quick release is done releasing the steam, turn the lid to open the pot. Use oven mitts to remove the rack from the pot. Let the cakes cool for a minute, then run a knife along the edges of each cake before flipping them out. Top each with a scoop of ice cream.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 2 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 382