Walking through the streets of Paris, it’s impossible not to find yourself following the aromatic trail of a street vendor making warm crepes. Stopping at one of the carts to pick up a delectable cream-filled crepe is always on my to-do list when I visit. My love for these French pancakes is what led me to make these chocolate crepes with raspberries and cream.
A crepe is the French version of an American pancake. The batter is very similar, albeit much runnier. The amount of batter poured into the pan is also much less so that you get a much thinner cake.
Unlike American pancakes, these chocolate crepes can be enjoyed during anytime of the day. The French typically enjoy sweet ones like these as a dessert rather than a breakfast meal.
The filling options for these chocolate crepes are endless. You can do chocolate with bananas or strawberries, or sweetened whipped cream with raspberries, like I’ve done here.
In Paris, the crepes you find from street carts are made on a big round, metal griddle. The surface is smooth and the crepe batter is smoothed out into one incredibly thin, round cake using a crepe spreader.
At home, you can create these chocolate crepes with a [easyazon_link identifier=”B015G9F00E” locale=”US” tag=”monpetitfour-20″]skillet[/easyazon_link] and simply tilting your pan in all directions to spread out your batter. The crepe batter can then be flipped over with the help of a [easyazon_link identifier=”B0015DF3CG” locale=”US” tag=”monpetitfour-20″]metal spatula[/easyazon_link].
Serving the Crepes
You can fold your chocolate crepes into thirds like a burrito, or you can fold them in a cone shape like displayed here. For the filling, I simply whipped up some heavy cream with powdered sugar and vanilla extract, and then nestled in some fresh raspberries.
These chocolate crepes are also delicious with Nutella spread inside and fresh strawberries slices layered on top. The best part is that crepes are so easy to make and really don’t require any fancy equipment!
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp milk
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp butter, melted and cooled
- 6 tbsp all-purpose flour
for the filling
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tbsp powdered sugar, plus more for dusting at the end
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- fresh raspberries
- In a medium bowl (or a blender), whisk the egg, milk, and water together. Add the cocoa powder, sugar, and melted butter; whisk again to combine. Add in the flour, then whisk until the batter is smooth. The batter should be smooth and runny.*
- Warm a 5 1/2" to 6" skillet over medium-low heat. Scoop approximately 2 heaping tablespoons of batter into the pan, and tilt the pan from side to side in a circular motion to spread out the batter. Let the crepe cook for approximately 15 to 20 seconds before flipping. Use a sharp edge, metal spatula to carefully nudge the edges of the crepe and flip over. You can use your hands to help too. Cook the other side for another 10 seconds or so.
- Transfer the crepe to a wire rack or plate to cool completely. Once all your crepes are cooked, temporarily set them aside and begin preparing your filling. To make the whipped cream, simply whisk the heavy whipping cream on high speed until indentations form. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla, then whisk again until the cream thickens and holds its shape.
- Pipe or scoop a large dollop of whipped cream over the center of each crepe. Top with a few raspberries, then fold the crepes into a cone shape. To do this, simply fold the bottom ends of the crepe in towards each other. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.
If your batter seems to be on the thicker side, simply stream in a teaspoon of water at a time until it's thinner. You want the batter to be on the soupy side rather than thick or lava-like, like salad dressing or typical pancake batters.
Calories shown represent crepes that are each filled with 2 tablespoons of homemade whipped cream.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 2 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 381
Shop for this Recipe:
[easyazon_image align=”none” height=”110″ identifier=”B0015DF3CG” locale=”US” src=”http://www.monpetitfour.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/31Vc2dClIQL.SL110.jpg” tag=”monpetitfour-20″ width=”110″][easyazon_image align=”none” height=”110″ identifier=”B015G9F00E” locale=”US” src=”http://www.monpetitfour.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/31PgFXEArlL.SL110.jpg” tag=”monpetitfour-20″ width=”110″]