I love ordering salads when I go out to eat. I know salads can have a bad reputation for being too boring or “healthy” (i.e. not delicious), but I’m always so inspired by the salad variations I try.
I actually think a great salad can say a lot about a chef. Salad ingredients like lettuce are not necessarily delicious on its own and require creativity to be turned into something you’re excited to eat.
This apple pecan salad recipe is one of those salads you’ll be happy to eat. I know I was when I first had this salad at a local farm-to-table restaurant.
While this apple pecan salad recipe has just a few ingredients, each ingredient truly shines. The apples are fresh, hand-picked apples I got from a local orchard, both incredibly sweet and crisp.
Partnered with fresh apples are the candied pecans. For these pecans, I used candied molasses pecans, which give a nice crunch to the salad. Together with the apples and pecans, I also added blue cheese crumbles, which adds a robust flavor to the salad and compliments the blue cheese dressing.
The dressing is made with a small handful of ingredients you probably already have in your fridge or pantry. It’s thick and creamy, and so very yummy.
Even though the dressing is heavier than some of the other ones I’ve shared here, it’s still just as bit refreshing.
When I’m making this apple pecan salad as an appetizer, I make it as shown, without meat. If I’m making it as an entrée for lunch or dinner, I’ll often add a piece of grilled chicken breast.
Either way, it’s a wonderful fall salad to add to your meal rotation this season!
- 1 bag spinach, (6 oz.)
- 1 apple, cut into thin slices
- 6 tbsp candied pecans
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles, divided
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp half n half, or whole milk
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- dash of Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
- To create the sauce, whisk the mayo, half n half, sour cream, and Worcestershire sauce together. Stir in 2 tbsp of the blue cheese crumbles, along with a pinch of salt and pepper. Taste test for salt; add more if needed.
- Toss the spinach with the dressing in a large bowl. Divide the salad among four plates. Garnish each salad with some apple slices, a couple tablespoons of candied pecans, and about a tablespoon and a half of blue cheese crumbles.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 4 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 470